Archives of Genesis8 Amstrad Page from 1999 to 2020 about music
A portable computer like the Amstrad PPC 640, released in 1988 has no ISA expansion ports, he has only a feeble speaker. So you may think it isnt possible to get some nice sound except of simple beeps ?
On the Amstrad CPC it was possible to have a better sound using a Digiblaster sound card connected to the parallel port. It was a simple electronic device with several resistors, not difficult to make in fact.
Well, there is the same thing on PC since ages : the Covox Speech Thing.. It is possible to buy a Covox 4 on Serdashop which is an upgraded version of the Covox Speech Thing (higher precision resistors : 0.1% and low pass filter). For more informations about the Covox, I recommand reading the related articles on Nerdly Pleasures.
I also bought the MCE2VGA on Serdashop which lets you use a VGA external screen instead of only using the internal screen which is quite lacking.
- Play and compose your music in real-time on your CPC via any serial interface! The CPC client supports the CPC/Mini Booster, USIfAC and Albireo! And also the PlayCity! This means you can directly hear how your 3/6/9-channel music will sound on the CPC!
- A toolbox in the pattern viewer to transpose, swap, remap specific instruments.
- Instrument preview when loading them.
- A better MIDI import.
- MOD import can generate PSG instruments instead of samples. Useful for conversion to soundchip!
- New logo and splash screen.
- And many, many smaller features and bug-fixes.
I found a youtube channel with 6 videos of Amstrad CPC music done with 3dsmax and Aftereffects, by juande3050.
Seen on VGMusic, there are MIDI remix of five Amstrad CPC games's music :
- 3D StarFighter
- AirWolf II
- Chuckie Egg (less than 5 seconds of music !)
- Monte Carlo Casino
Fabrizio Radica has written a MOD of the well know instrumental piece of the Alan Parsons Project : Mammagamma (original on the official youtube channel). This track was out on the eye of the sky, released in June 1982 by Arista Records.
You can listen to these three versions of this MOD :
- Amiga on Youtube, download Amiga version
- Amstrad CPC on Youtube using the printer port with Digiblaster, download Amstrad CPC version (both AY and digiblaster)
- Amstrad CPC on Youtube using AY internal sound
Credits : original music by The Alan Parsons Project, conversion by Fabrizio Radica, graphics by Devilmarkus, player by Prodatron, videos Amstrad CPC done with the JavaCPC emulator.
Le Daron is in direct at the alchimie 19 on Twitch, at 23pm the results will be available.
- Many graphics improvement, including even more space for the pattern viewer.
- Midi in: plug your keyboard and have fun!
- Midi import: import your Midi songs.
- New AKM (minimalist) player: more compact and powerful than the Lightweight!
- Source converter: convert the music and player source to any assembler (winape, sdcc, pasmo, vasm, etc.) automatically, thanks to Disark, a new tool (for which I'll create a new thread...)!
- ROM players: by setting a flag, the players will not use auto-modification anymore, but a small buffer to put in RAM, whereas the player itself can be put in ROM.
- Support for specific hardware:
- PlayCity (9 channels)
- Spectrum Turbosound (6 channels)
- SpectrumNext (9 channels)
- MSX Darky (6 channels)
- MSX FPGA (6 channels)
- ... and many other improvements
For more news, Go to home page